Skip to main content

Tuesday's Slice of Life (03/03/20)


It's just that time of the school year.  We are at the longest stretch.. trying to say goodbye to winter and anxiously awaiting spring!  It is a long few months between the end of winter break and the beginning of spring break.  Living in southeast Pennsylvania, we still haven't seen one snow day this year! Lately, I have been feeling like my pup, Bailey, each morning. I wake up and get ready to take on a new school day, even though I rather still be crawled up under the covers!  Despite the daily craziness of teaching, we can always find small moments that remind us how we are making a difference in the students' lives who walk through our doors each day. 

I recently attended a writing workshop about Writer's Notebooks.  When the presenter handed me a brand new teal notebook, I was actually excited!  I took time decorating it with stickers and pictures that reflected me.  I wanted to write in and take pride in how I was going to use it.  That excitement led to me asking my principal if she would be willing to buy my class new notebooks as we try to consistently make "Quick Writes" part of our afternoon routine. Because we are in the trenches of TDA writings in preparation for the PSSAs, I want to remind my students that writing can be an enjoyable, empowering and comforting process. 

Well, the excitement on these 4th graders' faces when they got to pick out a brand new notebook was priceless. However, this isn't the "Slice of Life" I am referring to.  

Let's fast forward a day... It begins to pour in the middle of outdoor recess, so we need to come inside and (of course!) finish up recess!  While I was reviewing the students' options for indoor recess activities, one of them asked if they could decorate their notebook. Then, they pulled out some markers and pictures.  Another student did the same.  A couple students actually started to show off how they took their notebooks home the first night and decorated them on their own. And for the next 15 minutes, more than half of my class was actively engaged in personalizing their new Writer's Notebooks.  A couple of them even asked if they could continue doing this tomorrow during recess.  

This was one of those rare and special moments that you hope for as a teacher.  Students... helping, sharing, collaborating, encouraging and celebrating... over notebooks! Where we go from here with our Writer's Notebooks is part of the journey, but I am already excited to see that I have sparked some renewed interest in writing! 

Comments

  1. This sue is what you good for as a teacher of writers, hooray!

    Where in PA do you live? I am in Lancaster.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday's Slice of Life (03/24/20)

  We are ready for "social distancing" to be over! We are entering week 2 of the school closures in PA.  While it has been extended another two weeks, thankfully schools have not been canceled all together yet.  During this social distancing time, I am thankful for the writer's notebooks I started with my students.  Since that was the one thing I made sure student brought home with them, I hope they are using them to continue writing.   When I started my notebook, I honestly didn't have a 100% buy in with it. However, my mindset has completely changed in the last few weeks. I see how powerful it can be with my own writing, and I hope my students are feeling empowered with their writing as well.  I'm excited to finally be able to check in with my students next week. I'm also interested to hear about whether they have been using their writer's notebooks daily.  In the meantime, some of them have been using our Google Classroom page to resp...

Tuesday's Slice of Life (03/31/20)

While these past few weeks have been unpredictable, Bailey's expression matches how I was feeling after we kicked off online learning for our students this week.  On Monday, we started "Virtual Learning" for school.  Thankfully, the school district is taking this approach slow and steady to help parents and students to adjust to the "new" way of life for right now. One of the first tasks we asked the students to work on was a writing assignment.  The teachers wrote a letter to students to let them know what we were up to and then we asked students to write a letter back.  My "slice of life" was the moment students started responding back!  As much as students sometimes don't always show their appreciation for their teachers or for school, it was evident they were craving to hear from us! The students were so genuine in their responses, sharing what they were doing at home with their families and how they were honestly coping with soc...